Permit Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permits are required when there is new construction to a building, as well as some repair work or alterations to an existing structure. In addition, when a building is to be remodeled, renovated or enlarged, a permit shall be required. New work consists of any new construction, commercial or residential, from vacant ground to a completed new structure. Projects such as painting, carpeting, wallpapering, replacing or adding cabinets, and trim work are considered cosmetic and do not require a permit. Contact Building Inspection for assistance concerning your specific project.

There is often considerable concern about the purpose of and need for building permits. The requirement of building permits is mandated by the adoption by the City of Carrollton of the International Building, Fire, Mechanical and Plumbing Codes and the National Electrical Code. The purpose of permits is to ensure conformity of the adopted codes by allowing qualified city inspectors to investigate and examine the work. (The online Ordinance Reference list provides information on City codes).

Permits are required for repairs or replacement of the parts of a building related to maintenance of structural integrity and systems related to Mechanical, Electrical, or Plumbing. General maintenance does not require a permit.

These projects require permits:

  • Accessory buildings
  • Antennas
  • Carports - zoning ordinances also apply
  • Certificates of Occupancy
  • Circular driveways - residential only
  • Construction trailers
  • Deck/platform - when 30" above ground level
  • Demolition of a building
  • Driveway - when cutting curb
  • Electrical work
  • Fence, new - zoning ordinances also apply
  • Fence, repair - when more than 20 linear feet is replaced or if fence is relocated
  • Fire sprinkler/alarm
  • Fireplace, all types
  • Foundation, repair - regardless of valuation it must be engineered
  • Garage or garage conversions
  • Grease/sand trap
  • Oil interceptor, commercial - only by registered plumber
  • Handicap accessible ramp
  • Lawn sprinkler
  • Light poles
  • Mechanical work - air conditioning, etc.
  • Moving - moving of structures over public streets
  • Parking, includes temporary
  • Patio covers
  • Plumbing work
  • Retaining wall - when 4 feet in height or more, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, must be engineered
  • Room additions to existing space and/or a building
  • Satellite dish - when 30" or more in diameter
  • Screening wall - must be engineered
  • Shed, residential - when over 120 square feet, zoning ordinances also apply
  • Sign - including awnings, banners, directional, "open soon", real estate, special events
  • Swimming pool/spa
  • Temporary building/trailers
  • Temporary heat/clean and show, commercial
  • Tents
  • Vent hood, commercial type I, type II
  • Water heaters

This is not an all-inclusive list. The above list is considered to be general, and its purpose is to provide the customer with an idea of projects requiring permits. Contact Building Inspection at 972-466-3225 for any further information concerning your specific project.

Important: Contact the homeowner's association within the applicable subdivision for additional requirements contained in deed restrictions and/or covenants.

PDF documents
 | Commercial Inspection Checklists | Residential Inspection Checklists |

Building Inspection Links
 | Development Fees |