The construction of any new single-family dwelling (whether detached or attached) requires a building permit. All construction must comply with the International Residential Code as adopted and amended by the City of Carrollton, as well as the City’s Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance. More specifically, Article VII for detached dwellings and Article VIII for attached dwellings contain specific zoning requirements.
Plans Submittal Requirements
- A copy of a site plan with dimensions indicating the location of the house on the property and showing setbacks, driveways and other flatwork, and location of property pins.
- Plans with dimensions indicating how the structure will be constructed. These plans should include engineered foundation plans, floor plans, elevation drawings, materials used and spacing of framing members.
- Engineer’s letter indicating what soil information was used to design the foundation.
Energy code calculations confirming compliance with the requirements of either the International Residential Code or the International Energy Conservation Code.
- A termite certification letter is required prior to the 4063 Electrical & Building Final inspection.
- Brick calculations indicating compliance with the requirements of the Carrollton Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
The following inspections will be required upon completion of each stage of work:
2020 Rough Plumbing, Sewer & Gas Line
3063 HVAC Rough/ Energy
3064 Electrical Rough/ Energy
3065 Plumbing Topout
3066 Building (Framing)
4004 HVAC/ Energy Final
4005 Utility Release/ Plumbing/ Energy Final
4062 Electrical/ Energy
4063 Building/ Energy
State law allows a homeowner to perform all work on their homestead. However, any other person performing homebuilding, plumbing, mechanical or electrical work shall be licensed by the state of Texas and must be registered as a contractor with the City of Carrollton.
Fees and Applications
A permit fee , impact fee, water meter fee and sewer tap fee are required, and an application must be completed and submitted to the Building Inspection department at 1945 E. Jackson Rd. Please contact the Building Inspection department at (972) 466-3225 for additional information.