During Library Hours
Use the Check In Station at either location to immediately remove items from you account. You can:
- print a receipt showing the items checked in off your account
- immediately check out more items
Before or After Library Hours
Return items in the drive-up bookdrop BEFORE midnight on the date they are due to avoid late fines.
- Hebron & Josey - on the south side of the building (facing Hebron)
- Josey Ranch Lake - in the front of the building behind the flag poles
- ONLY way to get a courtesy reminder notice BEFORE items are due
- Add this email address to your contacts or allowed list to insure emails reach your inbox
- Postal Mail
- $1.00 charge for each mailed overdue notice
- No charge for mailed final bill notice or hold notice
Failure to receive notices does not relieve the borrower of the responsibility for returning materials on time or for charges for overdue materials. Return items on or before the due date to avoid fines.
Courtesy Reminder Notices
Reminder notices from the Library are ONLY sent by email:
- 3 days BEFORE DVDs and launchpads are due
- 5 days BEFORE all other items are due
- Give you a chance to renew items or schedule time to return them
Follow the directions in our email address help to add or update your email.
- 3 days AFTER item's due date
- Postal mail delivery is NOT instantaneous like email
You can still check out with an overdue item on your account as long as the item is less than 21 days overdue and the fines currently owed are less than $10.
Fines accruing for overdue items still checked out on your account will not yet show in the Fines section of your online account, but instead show in the Checked Out items section next to any overdue titles.
Items More Than 21 Days Overdue
Library items that are more than 21 days overdue will prevent Carrollton Public Library customers from checking out Library materials, renewing items, placing holds, using a computer at the Library, reserving Study Rooms, and using self-checkout stations.
Items 35 or More Days Overdue
Patrons with Library items 35 or more days overdue, owing $50 or more in charges, AND who have made no attempts to contact the Library to settle their accounts will be turned over to a Library materials recovery service called Unique Management Services and an additional $10 fee will be added to the account.
- DVDs, launchpads, & storytime kits - $1.00 per item, per day
- Books - $0.50 per item, per day
- Binoculars - $1.00 per hour
- All other items - $0.25 per item, per day
Visit the Fines & Fees page to see a complete list of all fines and fees charged by the Library.
$10 or More in Fines
Fines or charges over $9.99 will prevent Carrollton Public Library customers from checking out Library materials, renewing items, placing holds, using a computer at the Library, reserving Study Rooms, and using self-check out stations. Owing fees also prevents automatic renewal of actively used Library cards.
Accounts with unresolved fees of $50 or more will be referred to Unique Management Services, a collection agency, and an additional $10 fee will be added to the account.
- Online in your account:
- In person:
- Money order
- Check made payable to City of Carrollton with Library card number written on it
- Visa, Mastercard, or Discover
- By postal mail:
- Check made payable to City of Carrollton with Library card number written on it & mailed to either Library location (addresses)
If you lose or damage an item you checked out, please visit or call the Library at 972-466-4800 to discuss any charges. Charges for lost or damaged items are based on the type of item.
Helpful hint: Renew the item while you continue looking for it. If an item cannot be renewed, the maximum overdue fee will be $7.50 for an audiobook, music CD, or playaway and $10.00 for a book, DVD, or storytime kit.
But I Returned That...
If you returned an item, but it still shows on your account, please be aware it can sometimes takes a day or two to get items checked in, especially after a weekend. Wait a day or so after you return an item, then check your account online again.
TIP: Return items using a Check In Station to IMMEDIATELY remove items from your Library account.
If the returned item still shows on your account after a couple of days, talk to staff in person or by phone at 972-466-4800 during Library hours. Library staff will check the carts of items waiting to be checked in and the Library shelves of both locations. If the item is not found in the Library, then it will be placed on "Claims Returned" status for 30 days to allow time for you to continue looking at home and for staff to look again in the Library. If the item is not found within 30 days, it is declared "Lost" and payment will be due.
Helpful hint: Check beneath your car seats, under beds, in school backpacks, in closets, in drawers, and in bookshelves.