Solicitor & Handbill Permits
Permits for distributing handbills or soliciting door to door are required. Contact Records at 2025 Jackson Rd to obtain a copy of ordinance and to apply for a solicitor permit.
Effective January 16, 2017, the City is temporarily suspending the requirement of the $50 solicitation permit fee.
However, the $10 fee for each individual seeking a permit will continue to be required in order to conduct a criminal background check.
An individual or entity is still required to submit the required application for a permit, and all other portions of Chapter 113 of the Carrollton Code of Ordinances remain in effect.
THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SOLICITOR/HANDBILL PERMITS:
1. Solicitation involves any home solicitation transaction; any request for the donation of money,
property, or anything of value, the selling or offering for sale of any property, real or personal,
tangible or intangible, whether of value or not, including but not limited to goods, books,
pamphlets, tickets, publications, or subscriptions to publications.
2. Permits are required for all solicitation and handbill distribution, including solicitation on
residential property, and the permitting process requires a background check.
3. Charitable solicitation requires a permit and background check. For verified charitable
organizations, the only fee imposed is for the background check. Children are not required to
obtain a permit, only the adult supervising them.
4. The business or organization is required to obtain a permit and each solicitor or handbill
distributor is required to obtain an individual permit.
5. It may take up to 10 business days to process the application and issue
6. Permits are not renewable. Each subsequent solicitation period requires a new application.
7. Each solicitor must show, upon request, a valid US Government issued photo ID and the current
Solicitor’s Permit issued to them.
8. Handbills cannot be hung on utility poles or placed or deposited upon any automobile or other
9. It is unlawful to solicit or distribute handbills from any sidewalk, upon a roadway or at any
10. It is unlawful to solicit or distribute handbills at any premises if there is placed in a conspicuous
place near the main entrance a sign bearing the words “no peddlers”, “no trespassing”, “no
advertisements”, “no solicitation” “no handbills” or any other language indicating the resident
does not desire to be molested or disturbed.
INFORMATION ON OTHER TYPES OF PERMITS:
- Block Parties 972-466-3225
- Building Permits 972-466-3225
- Special Events 972-466-3225
- Parade Permits 972-466-3225