On April 19, 2005, the City Council approved an amendment to the Carrollton Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance, which established a new (TC) Transit Center Zoning District and rezoned areas around the Downtown Carrollton and Trinity Mills DART Light Rail stations for this district and in accordance with the Comprehensive Land Use Plan. For further details about zoning click here to visit the Carrollton Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
The purpose of the (TC) Transit Center Zoning District is to implement the adopted recommendations of the Comprehensive Land use Plan by encouraging new development and redevelopment near the DART Light Rail Stations.
The goals of this district are:
- To capitalize on the convergence of regional transit, freeways and arterial roadways by creating major urban and village centers which offer a variety of housing, retail and office uses.
- To provide development and land use flexibility within the framework of a form-based development code.
- To provide a mix of residential, retail and office uses in a pedestrian-friendly district.
The intent of this district is:
- To provide a comfortable and attractive environment for pedestrians.
- To construct buildings close to the sidewalk and street.
- To construct continuous building frontage along block faces and provide for pedestrian and auto access to mid block parking.
- To provide shared parking both on-street and in the center of blocks that will benefit the entire district.
- To contribute to the definition and use of public parks and plazas.
- To design streets and buildings which contribute to the creation of safe environments.
- To build on the existing character reflected in Downtown Carrollton.
In addition to this zoning ordinance, City Council adopted additions to the General Design Standards for urban street design standards for the (TC) Transit Center Zoning Districts in February 2007. To review the General Design Standards, click here.
The current boundaries of the two existing districts intended for transit-oriented development in the city (around the DART Downtown Carrollton Trinity Mills LRT stations). The intent of these standards is to promote the development and redevelopment of the areas around Carrollton’s DART LRT stations as walkable, urban, pedestrian-oriented areas. To that end, the needs and desires of pedestrians shall in all cases be prioritized above the needs and desires of vehicular traffic.
These standards are designed to be a general guide. Specific construction details (dimensions, details, materials, etc.) may differ slightly where required as development occurs and construction drawings are created. Any such deviance from the standards may be approved after a review for and conformance with the intent and goals of the standards.