Animal Ordinances

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

To Contact Animal Services Please Click Here

Stray Animals
Animal Services works to support wildlife management through public education. Our highest priority is to identify options for sustaining wildlife habitat, without interfering with our local wildlife population. However, if a threat to public health or safety exists, Animal Services will work with you to humanely capture and relocate these critters.

To support this effort you may borrow a live-catch box trap from the Carrollton Animal Services and Adoption Center located at 2247 Sandy Lake Road, Carrollton, TX 75006. There are no fees associated with the loaning of these traps, but you will be responsible for replacing the trap if lost, stolen or damaged while in your possession.

Keeping Chickens
To legally keep chickens in Carrollton you must comply with the following:

  • Apply for a permit
  • If permit is approved you may keep up to 6 chickens
  • No roosters may be kept
  • Chickens must be provided a coop and may not roam free on the property
  • Chicken coop may not exceed 80 square feet or be taller than 8 feet
  • Chicken coop must located within its own fence, not to include perimeter fencing
  • Chicken coop may not be located within 25 feet of any dwelling or business
  • Chicken coop may not be located within 5 feet of any property line
  • Chicken excrement must be removed and placed in an approved waste container at least once every 48 hours
  • Chicken or eggs may not be sold from your property
  • Processing deceased chickens may not occur in any area from a public right of way

Animal Bites
State law requires all animal bites or scratches to be reported to the local rabies control authority. Bites or scratches that break the skin will require the animal involved to be quarantined at a state approved facility for 10 days. This process is used to determine if the rabies virus was transmittable at the time of the bite. Rabies can be fatal to humans and animals, making this our highest priority to protecting public health and safety. If a stray animal bites or scratches a person, and we are not able to locate the animal's owner within 72 hours, the animal is humanely euthanized and tested for rabies.

Resident Complaints
Animal Services can work with you to help resolve most animal related concerns. Issues such as barking dogs, too many animals, unsanitary conditions and stray animals can be addressed by calling 972-466-3420. We will ask that you provide the specific location of the violation, specifics about your concern and daytime contact information. At your request, a member of our staff will complete an inspection and follow-up with you to share our findings. Our response time for most calls is 20 minutes. In most cases you will receive feedback, if requested, by the following workday.

Noise Complaints - Barking Dogs

Excessive and disruptive barking is unlawful under city code.  A person wishing to file a noise complaint against the owner of a dog that is creating a disturbance by barking, howling or yelping must follow a specific process to reach the desired outcome.  This process begins with Animal Services initially contacting the animal owner and may progress to the complainant maintaining a Noise Complaint Log and signing a Formal Complaint to seek relief through Carrollton Municipal Court.

Animal Services will utilize the following process when noise complaints are received:

First Complaint

No Noise Complaint Log is required. The animal owner will be contacted in person by an Animal Services Officer. During this investigation Animal Services will verify that the reported animal(s) are currently vaccinated for rabies and registered with the city. The complainant will be contacted by phone to outline how future complaints will be handled.  

Second Complaint

No Noise Complaint Log is required. The animal owner and complainant will be encouraged to participate in our mediation process. The mediation is focused on bringing both parties together to find middle ground to resolve the noise complaint. Although mediation is not required to move to the next step, a complainant not participating may be cause to invalidate a Formal Complaint Form.  

Third and all Subsequent Complaints

All subsequent complaints must be accompanied by a Noise Complaint Log, filled out by the complainant, with a signed Formal Complaint Form. A detailed, specific and accurately kept log means a better chance of success if the case should be challenged in court.  After this log is complete, the complainant will sign and return to Animal Services.

The Formal Complaint Form and Noise Complaint Log will be forwarded to the Carrollton Legal Department for their review.  If sufficient evidence exists to support the complaint, the Prosecutor may support filing charges against the animal owner.  If the complaint is denied, the complainant will be notified.

Please click here to download a copy of our Noise Complaint Log

Police & Fire Support
In the event you experience a Fire or Police emergency, Animal Services may be called upon to take in stranded animals, rescue injured animals and/or provide emergency transport for your pet to a local veterinary clinic. It is our effort to lessen the stress associated with emergency situations by ensuring that your pets are considered.

Deceased Animal Disposal
To dispose of deceased pet or report a dead animal please call Animal Services at 972-466-3420. To assist with this process please report a specific location or landmark.

Leash Law
The City of Carrollton Code of Ordinance, Chapter 91, requires all cats and dogs to be restrained by a leash, chain, or in a fenced area. This includes any area, whether public or private property, including an owner's front yard.

Owner Responsible for Removal of Waste
Animal owners shall be responsible for the removal of all pet waste deposited by his/her animal on public walks, recreation areas, or private property. This applies to the owner's property in terms of not allowing unsanitary conditions, such as creating an odor nuisance.

Pet Limit
The City of Carrollton has a pet limit of 2 cats OR 2 dogs on any premises within the City that has no enclosed backyard fencing. No more than 3 dogs and 3 cats may be kept in a rear yard providing an enclosure such as a fence.

City Registration
All pets (cats and dogs) must be registered with the City of Carrollton Animal Services Division. The City registration fees are as follows:


  • Spayed/Neutered animals: $5 per year
  • Intact animals: $20 per year

Texas State Law Chapter 826, Subchapter C. Section 826.021 requires the owner of a dog or cat to have their animals vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian by the age of 3 months and annually thereafter. To register a pet, proof of current rabies vaccination as well as proof of sterilization, if applicable, must be shown. City registrations are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and must be renewed annually.

Download Carrollton Pet License Application

Bajar La Solicitud De Registro Para Mascotas


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer