- Accessory buildings larger than 120 square feet in area require a permit
- Structures larger than 240 square feet in area have additional restrictions
- Structures taller than 15 feet or greater than 600 square feet in area require a Special Use Permit (SUP)
Complete information related to accessory buildings is available on the City’s web site in Section K (3) and Section L of Article VII of the city’s Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Plans submittal requirements
- A copy of a site plan or Property Survey of your property with dimensions showing the location of the accessory building on the property
- Plans with dimensions indicating how the structure will be constructed and anchored. These plans should include foundation plans, elevation drawings, materials used and spacing of framing members
- If electricity or plumbing is be installed, please use the Residential Dwelling Application , so that subcontractors may be listed. Additional fees and inspections may apply.
An inspection needs to be scheduled upon completion of work.
Applications and Fees
A permit fee is required, and an application must be completed and submitted to the Building Inspection department. Please call 972-466-3225 with any questions.