- Accessory buildings larger than 120 square feet in area require a permit
- Structures larger than 240 square feet in area have additional restrictions
- Structures taller than 15 feet or greater than 600 square feet in area require a Special Use Permit (SUP)
Complete information related to accessory buildings is available on the City’s web site in Section K (3) and Section L of Article VII of the city’s Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Plans submittal requirements
- A copy of a site plan or Property Survey of your property with dimensions showing the location of the accessory building on the property
- Plans with dimensions indicating how the structure will be constructed and anchored. These plans should include foundation plans, elevation drawings, materials used and spacing of framing members
- If electricity or plumbing is be installed, please use the Residential Dwelling Application, so that subcontractors may be listed. Additional fees and inspections may apply.
An inspection needs to be scheduled upon completion of work.
Applications and Fees
A permit fee is required, and an application must be completed and submitted to the Building Inspection department. Please call 972-466-3225 with any questions.