The construction of any new single-family dwelling (whether detached or attached) requires a building permit.
All construction must comply with:
- The current International Residential Code adopted and amended by the City of Carrollton
- Article VII and Article VIII of the City’s Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
Plans Submittal Requirements
- A copy of a site plan (plot plan) with dimensions indicating the location of the house on the property showing setbacks, driveways and other flatwork, and location of the property pins
- Plans need dimensions indicating how the structure will be constructed. These plans should include engineered foundation plans, floor plans, elevation drawings, wind shear and wall bracing
- Engineer’s letter indicating soil information and codes used to design the foundation
- Energy code calculations confirming compliance with the requirements of either the International Residential Code or the International Energy Conservation Code
- Brick calculations indicating compliance with the requirements of the Carrollton Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
- A termite certification letter is required prior to the 4063 Electrical & Building Final inspection
Multiple inspections will be required upon completion of each stage of work.
State law allows a homeowner to perform all work on their homestead. However, any other person performing homebuilding, plumbing, mechanical or electrical work shall be licensed by the state of Texas and must be registered as a contractor with the City of Carrollton.
Fees and Applications
A permit fee, impact fee, water meter fee and sewer tap fee are required and an application must be completed and submitted through the CityServe portal. Please call 972-466-3225 with any questions.