The remodel of or addition to a single-family dwelling (whether detached or attached) requires a building permit.
All construction must comply with:
- The current International Residential Code adopted and amended by the City of Carrollton
- Article VII and Article VIII of the City’s Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
- Smoke detectors must now be installed in each sleeping room and at a point centrally located in the corridor or area giving access to each separate sleeping area
- Carbon monoxide alarms are also required outside of each separate sleeping area
- Where the wiring is accessible the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms must be hard-wired and have a battery backup. Where the wiring is not accessible the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms can be solely battery operated
Plans submittal requirements
- A copy of the site plan or Property Survey of your property with dimensions indicating the location of the addition on the property and showing setbacks, driveways and other flatwork, and location of property pins
- Plans with dimensions indicating how the structure will be constructed. These plans should include foundation plans (engineered if necessary), floor plans, elevation drawings, materials used and spacing of framing members
- Energy code calculations confirming compliance with the requirements of either the International Residential Code or the International Energy Conservation Code
- Brick calculations indicating compliance with the requirements of the Carrollton Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance
- Door and window schedule
State law allows a homeowner to perform all work on their homestead. However, any other person performing remodeling, plumbing, mechanical or electrical work shall be licensed by the state of Texas and must be registered as a contractor with the City of Carrollton.
Multiple inspections must to be scheduled upon different stages of completion of work.
Fees and Applications
Applications are accepted through the CityServe portal along with the permit fee. Please call 972-466-3225 with any questions.