Carrollton Fire Rescue provides car seat installation training to residents and caregivers. Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians conduct these 30 minute trainings by appointment only.
To schedule an appointment, click here.
What should you, as a caregiver, expect from a Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Technician?
The car seat installation experience is an interactive one. As the caregiver, you should leave confident that your child’s seat is installed correctly AND that you are comfortable reinstalling and using it correctly. To ensure that you have the best experience you should prepare for an education.
- If expecting, schedule an appointment 1 to 2 months prior to Mom’s due date. Carrollton Fire Rescue does require appointments several weeks in advance and some moms deliver early.
- If your child is already born, know your child’s weight and height.
- If your child is already born, bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
- Using the Child Car Seat Instructions, install the seat into you vehicle prior to your appointment.
- Look up “Child Safety Seats” in your Vehicle Owner’s manual. You will learn how a child’s car seat should be installed in YOUR car. The Car Seat Manual may not reference the requirements specific to your vehicle.
- Bring the Car Seat Instructions AND the Vehicle Owner’s Manual with you to your appointment!
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS Technician install the car seat. They’re trained to teach you, not install it for you.
This one-on-one education typically takes 30-45 minutes, depending on the car seat and the vehicle. The CPS Technician should take all the time necessary to ensure that you feel competent and confident in re-securing the car seat into the vehicle and re-buckling your child into the car seat on you own.
Please remember the CPS Technician is on-duty and should an emergency arise we may need to reschedule your appointment without warning.