Sections on this page:
Use browser back button to return to top of page after using one of these links
How to Check Out • New Card Limits • New Cards after Probationary Period • Established Card Limits • How to Renew Items • Reasons Renewing Can Fail
How to Check Out
Inside the Library
Bring your Carrollton Public Library card, a device with an active cloudLibrary app, or government-issued photo ID with you to the Library*
Have your card or device with active cloudLibrary app?
- Find item(s) to borrow
- Bring card or device with active cloudLibrary app plus item(s) to one of our new RFID self check machines
- Follow the instructions on the screen to check out - you can place 3 items on the pad at a time!
Only have your ID
- Find item(s) to borrow
- Bring ID plus item(s) to the Service Desk
- Staff will check out item(s) to you
*Your ID, along with proof of address if not current on ID, is required to renew an expired account.
Drive-up Holds Window
- Place your hold(s) on item(s) you want to borrow
- WAIT for the Hold Available Notice email or the hold STATUS in your online account to show "Ready. Must pick up by xx-xx-xx"
- Check your online account and pay any charges that would block check out BEFORE driving to the Library
- Bring your Carrollton Public Library card or government-issued photo ID with you
- Drive to the Holds Window at the pickup location indicated in the email or your account
- Show your Library card or photo ID
- Follow the instructions to receive your checked out item(s)
New Card Limits
- 5 items during the probationary period
New Cards after Probationary Period
Cards meeting the criteria below are changed to the full borrowing level for the card type at the end of the probationary period:
- Fees under $10
- NO overdue items
Your new Library card will be EXPIRED by staff if you owe $10 or more on your account and/or have overdue items.
If your new card is expired by staff, then you must come to the Library IN PERSON with your photo ID and proof of your current address to renew your account as well as pay your outstanding fines and/or return your late materials.
Established Card Full Borrowing Levels
Free cards for Carrollton & Reciprocal Partners and Paid Non-Resident Cards
Total of 40 items:
- Up to 5 DVDs
- Up to 5 audiobooks or Wonderbooks
- Up to 5 music CDs or board games
- Up to 25 books or other items not listed above
Total of 5 items
|Item||Loan Period||Item Limit1||Renewals2||Requestable by Hold|
|book||3 weeks||up to 25||3||yes|
|DVD||3 weeks||up to 5||3||yes|
|Launchpad||3 weeks||up to 5||3||yes|
|audiobook CD, playaway, or Wonderbook||3 weeks||up to 5||3||yes|
|music CD or board game||3 weeks||up to 5||3||yes|
|juvenile kit||3 weeks||1||3||yes|
|binoculars||2 hours inside library only||1||0||no|
1The full borrowing limit on the total number of items checked out on a established card is 40 except for TexShare cardholders whose limit is FIVE.
2Renewal adds either 3 weeks or 1 week to the date you RENEWED not the original due date.
3Hotspot checkout limited to Carrollton residents
How to Renew Items
Reasons Renewing Can Fail
You cannot renew if
- You have an overdue item
- Card is expired
- $10 or more is owed on card
In addition, you many see one of the following reasons that renewal failed:
- ON HOLD FOR ANOTHER CUSTOMER
- Another customer is waiting in line for this item
- TOO MANY RENEWALS
- You have already renewed this item the maximum THREE times
- TOO SOON TO RENEW
- You are trying to renew an item the same day you checked it out