The City of Carrollton is committed, first and foremost, to supporting and meeting the needs of Carrollton citizens.
Due to declining revenues, increasing usage, and a commitment to maintaining fiscal sustainability, the City of Carrollton has decided to implement a Non-Resident Fee for Library cards.
Non-Carrollton Residents of Texas are encouraged to contact their hometown library for a free Library card and/or purchase a Carrollton Public Library card for $40 (non-refundable, non-transferable), good for one year.
Carrollton residents and residents of Reciprocal Partners will continue to receive a Library card at no cost.
Current Reciprocal Partners include:
- Denton County
- City of Farmers Branch
- When do Non-Resident Fees begin and how was this decided?
- The Non-Resident Fee will go into effect beginning January 1, 2021 for new cardholders.
- This decision was reviewed and enacted by City Council, based on research from staff and feedback from the Library Board.
- There will be a grace period during which established cardholders with Non-Resident status will remain active until March 31, 2021. At that time, they will be eligible for a full year of services with a paid Non-Resident card.
- The Library is a community resource. Isn’t it available for everyone?
- Yes, everyone is welcome, regardless of where they live, to:
- • Visit the Library
- • Attend programs
- • Use the materials within the Library
- What services will I have access to with a paid, annual Carrollton Public Library card?
- A card in good standing will allow you a full year of access to:
- • Public computers
- • Print materials
- • DVDs
- • CDs
- • eBooks
- • eAudiobooks
- • Digital magazines
- • Online Resources
- • Study Rooms
- • Book a Librarian service
- • And more!
- Can I use a computer without having a Library Card?
- Non-Residents with a photo ID, can get a Guest Pass for each visit. If you are under 18, you must have a parent or guardian’s consent to use our public computers.
- I am not a resident of Carrollton or a Reciprocal Partner. What are my options?
- • You are welcome to visit the Library, attend live or virtual programs, and use the Library computers with a Guest Pass after showing an ID to staff
- • You may pay the $40 annual Non-Resident Fee to apply for a Library card.
- • Library staff can help you locate your hometown library where you can get a free library card.
- • A TexShare Card may be available through your local public or academic library:
- • Contact your hometown library to see if they participate in the TexShare Card program and if you meet the eligibility requirements.
- • TexShare cardholders visiting the Carrollton Public Library can check out up to 5 physical items at a time.
- NOTE: "A TexShare Card does not provide access to TexShare Databases or other online resources at libraries you visit. Please use the electronic resources available to you at your home library."
- How does my city become a Reciprocal Partner?
- Talk to your city’s library staff to let them know your interest and to contact the Carrollton Public Library for more information on how to become a Reciprocal Partner.
- Are there services or materials reserved for Carrollton residents only? If so, why?
- Yes, some materials and services are reserved for Carrollton citizens only. This is to maintain availability and sustainability for citizens or sometimes due to grant funding guidelines.
- Those include:
- • Meeting Room reservations
- • Hotspot checkouts
- • Interlibrary Loan
- • Suggest a Library Purchase