Holds information below reflects the settings and procedures in place during the Library's closure.
A hold is how you request that the Library set aside an item to "hold" it so you can come check it out from us. A hold lets you get in line for a popular title that has been pre-ordered or is currently checked out to another customer.
Library staff run reports twice a day to pull available items - showing as ON THE SHELF or JUST RETURNED - that have been requested by someone placing a hold.
For quickest turnaround for holds on available items showing as ON THE SHELF or JUST RETURNED, choose a pickup location matching where the item is on the shelf.
- 30 on an established Library card 1
- 5 on a new Library card
- Items on holdshelf will stay there until holds pick-up service resumes, and customers have a chance to pick them up
- Hold Available Notices are sent to email(s) listed in your account
- Holds, including status, are listed in your online Library account
1 Holds limit temporarily increased from 20 to 30 to allow requesting of new forthcoming titles being ordered
How to Place Holds
- Click or tap the "place hold" button in classic catalog or "Request It" button in OneSearch in the search results or title record2
- Enter your Library card number OR user name
- Enter your PIN/password
- Select a pickup location
- Submit the form
- The hold confirmation screen in the classic catalog will alert you if your hold was successful and where the hold will be delivered when available
2 Placing holds is available in OneSearch again as of 5-21-20.
Call the Library at 972-466-4800 for same day pickup of available items.
Contact-Free Holds Pick-Up
Contact-free curbside pick-up of holds checked out at Drive-Up Holds Windows is available as of May 4.
- Hold MUST have ON HOLDSHELF status and show as "Ready" in your online account:
- Wait for Hold Available Notice email
- Check your account online
- Will be checked out at drive-up Holds Window with contact-free delivery to your car:
- Monday - Saturday, from 10a.m.-6p.m.
- JRL or JRL Window pickup location = JRL Holds Windows
- H&J or H&J Window pickup location = H&J Holds Window
- Must show LIBRARY CARD or your ID at the window
- Fines blocking checkout - $10 or more - must be paid online BEFORE picking up holds
In the Holds section of your account, look at the status column to see where you are in line:
- 3 of 13 holds
- "Ready" - you have until the "Pick up by" date to come check it out
"Freeze" unfilled holds to SAVE your place in line when you're on vacation or otherwise unavailable.
- STATUS cannot be "IN TRANSIT" or "Ready. Must pick up by..."
- You must unfreeze frozen holds yourself. Staff CANNOT unfreeze them.
To freeze or unfreeze your holds follow the directions on the freezing holds help page.