Carrollton Public Library Card Eligibility
To get a Library card you must:
- be a Texas resident
- be 18 or older
- have a government-issued photo ID
- provide proof of your CURRENT address if NOT on your license or ID
Accepted Proof of Address
- Valid (non-expired) Texas Driver License or ID with CURRENT address
- Valid (non-expired) Driver License or photo ID issued by a governmental agency with non-current address plus one of the following with your name and current address:
- recent utility bill (water, electric, gas, cable, etc.)
- car/motorcycle insurance card
- printed check from your bank
- recent paycheck stub
How to Get a Card
- Apply online
- Bring your government-issued photo ID with alternate proof of address if necessary to the service desk at either Library location
Check Out Limits for New Cards: 5 items for first 6 months
Library Cards for Children
Parents can apply for a library card for a child under 18. Parents are responsible for all materials checked out and late fines on the child's card.
- The child must be present during the application process.
- The parent must be present with proof of residency at the current home address.
- The parent must sign both the application and the back of the card at the time it is issued.
- The parent must be present in the library to change the level of internet access allowed with the child's card on library computers.
- The parent must be present to renew the library card when it expires.
Library Cards for Grandchildren
Only parents or legal guardians can sign up a minor child for a Library card. Are you this child’s legal guardian? If not, grandparents or other caregivers are encouraged to sign up for a card for themselves and then check out items for use by the children in their care.
A valid (non-expired) government-issued ID with CURRENT address or the ID with proof of CURRENT address (see above) must be shown to staff to renew your card. If no valid (non-expired) government-issued ID or proof of address is available, then the account CANNOT be renewed.
New Cards After 6 Months
Cards meeting the criteria below are changed to full service cards:
- customer shows valid (non-expired) government-issued ID
- customer shows proof of current address if NOT on valid (non-expired) government-issued ID
- fines are under $10
- no problems with the account
Cost of Library Card
- First card issued is FREE
- $1.00 to replace a lost card
Lost Library Cards
Report lost library cards IMMEDIATELY to prevent others from using YOUR card to check out without your permission. Call the Library at 972-466-4800 or submit a library account feedback online.