*The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten name is used with permission from the 1000 Books Foundation.
What It Is
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a fun, exciting, and free way to give your child a head start on the path to success by developing early literacy skills through reading books together.
Research shows reading aloud for just 20 minutes a day helps your child understand that letters make sounds, sounds make up words, and words make stories and songs.
This is a self-paced program open to children from ages 0 to 5 years old until they start Kindergarten.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but:
- ONE book a night = 1,000 books in less than THREE YEARS
- THREE books a night = 1,000 books in just under ONE YEAR!
How It Works
Step 1: Register/Enroll
Starting September 1, 2021, visit either Library in-person to register and pick up your 1000 Books Starter Kit folder, or you can register/enroll online.
If you have never used READsquared:
- Go to READsquared
- Tap/click Register
- Choose Myself Only*
- Enter child age and information
- Repeat for other kids
If used READsquared for Summer or Winter Reading:
- Go to your child's account in READsquared app or website
- Tap/click Enroll button
- Update child's age
- Select 1000 Books
*Because this is an age-limited program, you cannot use the Myself + Other Readers option when registering. Staff can create the Primary Account for any adult not already registered in READsquared, then link it to any child accounts you have already created so you can manage them.
Step 2: Track Books Read
- More than once, as many times as they are read
- Read by parents
- Read by the child
- Read by sisters, brothers, family members, other caregivers
- Read in daycare or preschool
How to Track:
- Pick up your 1000 Books Starter Kit folder OR print this
1000 Books Reading Log
- Color one crown on the log for each book read together
If you want to keep track of titles read together, you can log each book title in the READsquared app or on the READsquared website.
Step 3: Pick Up Prizes
Come to either Library for prize pick up for every 100 books read -- all 100 crowns on the log will be colored.
Need help finding books to read?
- Ask the Youth Services staff at the Service Desk for reading suggestions
- Use the book lists available in the READsquared app or website
- Try one of the lists linked below