Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Can I evict my family member?

Disputes within a family or household can be emotionally draining, physically injurious and financially difficult. Many times people ask Officers, “can I make my spouse/family member/adult child or other person leave my house?” Officers are not lawyers and may not give legal advice. Persons who are living in your house may have gained the right to live there until they are ordered to leave through a legal process called an eviction. Because evictions are a civil matter (a matter that would be settled in a non-criminal court), you may want to consult your private attorney or seek assistance through the Justice of the Peace Court that is nearest to the residence. An Officer’s duty when dealing with civil matters is to preserve the peace.

When you contact an Attorney or Justice of the Peace Court regarding an eviction, keep these things in mind:

  • Some courts do not view evictions regarding family disputes the same way as they do Landlord/Tenant disputes.
  • Ask about what forms the Court requires and how to obtain those forms.
  • Ask what notice requirements the Court has and how much time the process takes.
  • Remember that in an eviction process you do not automatically have the right to keep someone’s property from them without a Court Order. It will be best to talk to a lawyer or the Justice of the Peace Court. Listed below are Justice of the Peace Courts in Dallas and Denton County. A Google link is included to help you find the locations of these Courts. 

Justice of the Peace Courts

Address/Google Map Link


Phone Number


South Dallas Govt. Ctr.
7201 S. Polk
Dallas, TX 75232



Lancaster Sub-Courthouse
107 Texas Street
Lancaster, TX 75146



Garland Office
140 N. Garland Avenue
Garland, TX 75040
Mesquite Office
823 N. Galloway
Mesquite, TX 75149
East Dallas Govt. Ctr.
3443 St. Francis
Dallas, TX 75228
Richardson Office
1411 W. Beltline Road
Richardson, TX 75080
JP3-2 972-231-1439
North Dallas Govt. Ctr.
10056 Marsh Lane
Dallas, TX 75229
JP3-3 214-904-3042
Grand Prairie Office
630 W. Main Street
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
JP4-1 214-875-2100

Irving Office
841 W. Irving Blvd.
Irving, TX 75060

JP4-2 214-589-7000
Beckley Courthouse
410 S. Beckley Avenue
Dallas, TX 75203
JP5-1 214-943-6980
Beckley Courthouse
410 S. Beckley Avenue
Dallas, TX 75203
JP5-2 214-943-5981
Sandy Jacobs Government Center
1029 W. Rosemeade Pkwy.
Carrollton, Texas 75007-6251
972-434-7100 (Metro)
Joseph A. Carroll Building
401 W. Hickory, Suite 227
Denton, Texas 76201-9026
JP1 940-349-3170 (Metro)
972-434-8857 (Metro)
The Colony Government Center
6301 Main Suite 100
The Colony, Texas 75056
JP2 972-434-7200
Lewisville Government Center
190 N Valley Pkwy #100
Lewisville, TX 75067
JP3 972-434-4750 (Metro)

Roanoke Government Center
816 North Hwy. 377
Roanoke, Texas 76262-6175

JP4 972-434-3910
Steven Copeland Government Center
1400 FM 424, Suite 124
Cross Roads, TX 76227-7284
JP5 940-349-3460 (Metro)